Fashion stylists are professionals who use their knowledge and tactics to make people seem attractive and fashionable. They see potential in clothing and use it to accentuate the positive attributes of people, thereby enhancing their visual aesthetic. Fashion stylists have to be adept in ensuing trends and due to their intense research and study are a go-to source for fashion-related intelligence. They create sublime ensembles utilizing a sense of style, apparel, textures, colours, makeup, hairstyling, accessories & props to bring alive any photographer’s or director’s or writer’s or visionary’s vision. A fashion styling career involves the opportunity to style models for photo shoots, ads, and music videos, along with working with celebrity clients etc., hence is a lucrative and glamorous career alternative. Here is the Fashion styling course guide
- On clearing 10+2 from a recognised board in any discipline with at least 50% marks, the aspirants become eligible for taking an entrance test.
- Once the candidate gets the cut-off marks in the entrance test, then they are eligible for group discussion & personal interview round
- After passing all three rounds, the aspirants become eligible for admission to the college
- Any prior work experience is preferred at the time of admission
Responsibilities of Fashion Stylists
- Identifying clothing and accessories for editorials, photo shoots, ads, music videos, films, TV shows and any other media presence
- Collaborate with designers, hair and makeup artists, models, tailors, photographers, retailers, publicists, members of the media, celebrities and public figures
- Cultivating an image for celebrities
- Researching & analysing fabrics, clothing construction, materials and fashion accessories
- Networking with fashion designers and attending various fashion & trade shows
- Keeping tabs on different designer labels
- Anticipating fashion trends
- Discovering clothing from across the globe
- Building professional networks
- Assisting buyers in identifying the right kind of apparel for major retail chains
Skills Needed for Fashion Stylists
- Understanding of fashion trends, colour schemes, textures, hues as well as designer labels
- Cognizance of art, fashion, design and manufacturing techniques and processes
- Understanding of different body types, face cuts and body shapes. Using the knowledge to identify the best way to dress them so as to accentuate their presence
- Business skills including marketing, sales, merchandising, networking and advertising
- Efficient communication skills to handle clients
- Artistic, Innovative and passionate
- Eye for specifics
- Well organized
Fashion styling course guide: Following is a must-have:
- The college must ensure a comprehensive understanding of fashion, its history, retail buying, about textiles & different fabrics, accessories, hair, skincare, merchandising, material & body types, etc.
- A student pursuing this course should have these skills. The college curriculum must facilitate skills in Commercial Styling, Costume Design & Personal Styling, and Editorial Styling. They should also gain competencies in Fashion labels and brands, Retail Clothing brands, Electronic & Print Media, etc
- The college must equip students with subjective as well as objective knowledge in personal styling, in addition to offering proficiencies in photography, films, hair styling, makeup, costumes & art direction etc.
- International exposure through exchange programs, tie-ups with international universities etc. will help students with global opportunities.
- College must ensure internships for students, participation in live projects and regular interaction with industry experts, thereby getting the students ready to face the corporate world upon completion of their college.
Register now for a fashion styling course for a career with great possibilities.