HCCI (Homogeneous charge combustion ignition) engine
Hello, Friends, I have heard about this new engine HCCI for cars which will probably the future of cars.
What is HCCI?
Homogeneous charge combustion ignition is a type of engine. HCCI is an engine which neither uses a spark plug like a petrol engine nor fuel injectors like diesel engines it uses compression to combust and igniter the engine. It is a type of internal combustion of well-mixed fuel and air is compressed to a point of auto-ignition. HCCI also produces less NO2 because it has less heat in the compression chamber compared to petrol and diesel, so it will have better emission and it would be environment-friendly. It would be definitely a better and more fuel-efficient engine cause it has flameless ignition.
Challenges for HCCI
The development problem for HCCI is controlling the combustion process. Spark plug timing is set by the engine management control module by changing the spark event and the fuel delivery. HCCI is flameless combustion which makes it difficult.
Advantages of HCCI
- Lean combustion returns a 15 per cent increase in fuel efficiency over a conventional spark-ignition engine.
- Cleaner combustion and lower emissions (especially NOx) than a conventional spark-ignition engine.
- Compatible with gasoline as well as ethanol fuel.
- Fuel is burned quicker and at lower temperatures, reducing heat energy loss compared to a conventional spark engine.
- Throttleless induction system eliminates frictional pumping losses incurred in traditional (throttle body) spark engines.
Disadvantages of HCCI
- High cylinder pressures require stronger and more expensive engine construction.
- More limited power range than a conventional spark engine.
- The many phases of combustion characteristics are difficult and more expensive to control.
Refer to this video
Courtesy YouTube channel: TechTrixInfo.com
It will be both less emission like petrol cause there is no loss of fuel while pumping and have a high compression ratio and better fuel efficiency like diesel cause there is less temperature in internal combustion, so HCCI is best of Both Worlds.
I hope this will be the future for engines cause it has the quality of both petrol and diesel, and that’s what we want.